This course will teach you <b>fundamental usability concepts and methods</b> and will tie them together with interaction and visual design. By completing the course, you will become equipped with the tools required to create products with outstanding user experience and usability. Your newly acquired knowledge will also enable you to reduce the costs, risk, and time required to design and implement such products.
You’ll learn to adopt a user-centered approach to UX design and usability so you can create user-friendly products that people love to use—for example, by allowing for user errors and providing timely feedback messages. More importantly, it is crucial that your entire team—developers, project managers, and product owners alike—adopt this holistic, user-centered mindset. This course therefore aims to provide any team member with just that: it will not only equip you with fundamental usability and design concepts, but also introduce you to lean and agile processes that will allow your whole team to become design-centric.
You should take this course if you belong to a team whose goal is to create a great product—whatever role you play in that. The fact of the matter is that usability experts and UX designers are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the people who influence the design of a product. A sound understanding of user-centered design processes is thus greatly beneficial whether you’re a UX designer, developer, or a newcomer to design who wants to be part of a product team one day.
What you will learn
- An understanding of the basics of usability, including visual design, navigation and menu design, search engine optimization, and accessibility
- Designing for efficiency and persuasive/seductive design
- Lean and agile processes, as well as how to integrate user-centered design into lean and agile development
- How to make a case for user-centered design in your organization
- Methods by which to engage the whole team in user-centered design
Who should take this course
This is a beginner-level course recommended for anyone involved in building interactive systems:
- UX, UI, and web designers keen on building interactive systems with users in mind
- Project managers interested in keeping their products focused on the user
- Software engineers looking to build upon their understanding of how apps, systems and websites can be built with the user in mind
- Entrepreneurs who want to ensure their entire outlook and team remain focused on user-centered design
- Marketers interested in incorporating a user-centered perspective across all touch-points
- Newcomers to design who are considering making a switch to UX, UI, or web design
Courses in the Interaction Design Foundation are designed to contain comprehensive, evidence-based content, while ensuring that the learning curve is never too steep. All participants will have the opportunity to share ideas, seek help with tests, and enjoy the social aspects afforded by our open and friendly forum.
Learn and work with a global team of designers
When you take part in this course, you will join a global multidisciplinary team working on the course and the exercises at the same time as you. You will work together to improve your skills and understanding. Your course group will be made up of an incredibly diverse group of professionals, all of whom have the same objective—to become successful designers. It’s your chance to learn, grow, and network with your peers across the planet.
This course is taught by William Hudson, a leading expert in user-centered design who consults and teaches internationally. The lessons have a practical focus but also incorporate background and theory to help you understand the more complex issues involved. On top of this, you will be able to enhance your learning through the (optional) related reading—this consisting of over 40 titles across a broad array of subjects.
Industry-trusted UX Course Certificate
You earn an industry-trusted Course Certificate once you complete the course - even if you finish the course after the official end date. In other words, as long as you have enrolled in the course you will always be able to finish it and to get a course certificate. You will also have permanent access to the course material, your answers and the discussions.
Course Certificates from the IDF are verifiable and trusted by industry leaders. You can highlight them on your resume, CV, LinkedIn profile or your website.
Our courses and Course Certificates are trusted by these industry leaders, who have taken up company memberships with the IDF: