Design Thinking: The Beginner's Guide
How This Course Will Help Your Career
Some of the world’s leading brands, such as Apple, Google, Samsung, and General Electric, have rapidly adopted the design thinking approach, and design thinking is being taught at leading universities around the world, including Stanford d.school, Harvard, and MIT. What is design thinking, and why is it so popular and effective?
The overall goal of this design thinking course is to help you design better products, services, processes, strategies, spaces, architecture, and experiences. Design thinking helps you and your team develop practical and innovative solutions for your problems. It is a human-focused, prototype-driven, innovative design process. Through this course, you will develop a solid understanding of the fundamental phases and methods in design thinking, and you will learn how to implement your newfound knowledge in your professional work life. We will give you lots of examples; we will go into case studies, videos, and other useful material, all of which will help you dive further into design thinking.
Design thinking methods and strategies belong at every level of the design process. However, design thinking is not an exclusive property of designers—all great innovators in literature, art, music, science, engineering, and business have practiced it. What’s special about design thinking is that designers and designers’ work processes can help us systematically extract, teach, learn, and apply these human-centered techniques in solving problems in a creative and innovative way—in our designs, in our businesses, in our countries, and in our lives.
That means that design thinking is not only for designers but also for creative employees, freelancers, and business leaders. It’s for anyone who seeks to infuse an approach to innovation that is powerful, effective and broadly accessible, one that can be integrated into every level of an organization, product, or service so as to drive new alternatives for businesses and society.
What you will learn
- How to apply design thinking to your problems in order to generate innovative and user-centric solutions
- How to make use of practical design thinking methods in every stage of your problem, with the help of method templates
- How to initiate a new working culture based on a user-centric approach, empathy, ideation, prototyping, and playful testing
- How to employ ethnographic and analysis methods, such as interviews, focus groups, and surveys
- How to prototype early and fast, as well as test your prototypes so as to reduce risks and accelerate organizational learning
Who should take this course
This is a beginner-level course suitable for anyone interested in mastering the powerful and versatile design thinking approach:
- UX, UI, and graphic designers interested in gaining a new approach to solving design problems and generating solutions that work
- Project managers looking for a holistic process that integrates all stakeholders in order to create user-centric solutions
- Software engineers interested in playing a part in idea generation and the design process
- Entrepreneurs looking to empathize with users and build products that fit the market and users’ lives
- Marketers who want to gain a deep understanding of customers
- Stakeholders of a project/company who are keen to get involved in the process of building a product or service
- Anyone who is interested in an innovative problem-solving approach that can be applied to all types of problems in work and in life
Courses in the Interaction Design Foundation are designed to contain comprehensive, evidence-based content, while ensuring that the learning curve is never too steep. All participants will have the opportunity to share ideas, seek help with tests, and enjoy the social aspects afforded by our open and friendly forum.
Learn and work with a global team of designersWhen you take part in this course, you will join a global multidisciplinary team working on the course and the exercises at the same time as you. You will work together to improve your skills and understanding. Your course group will be made up of an incredibly diverse group of professionals, all of whom have the same objective—to become successful designers. It’s your chance to learn, grow, and network with your peers across the planet.
Gain an Industry-Recognized UX Course Certificate
Use your industry-recognized Course Certificate on your resume, CV, LinkedIn profile or your website.
Our courses and Course Certificates are trusted by these industry leaders:
Lessons in This Course
- Each week, one lesson becomes available.
- There’s no time limit to finish a course. Lessons have no deadlines.
- Estimated learning time: 18 hours 12 mins spread over 7 weeks.
Lesson 0: Welcome and Introduction
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 1 hour 45 mins.
Lesson 1: Getting Started thinking Outside of the Box
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 3 hours 13 mins.
Lesson 2: The Fundamentals of Design Thinking
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 8 hours 48 mins.
Lesson 3: Define The Challenge
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 4 hours 32 mins.
Lesson 4: Empathize with the People
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 4 hours 10 mins.
Lesson 5: The Typical Design Thinking Process
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 3 hours 19 mins.
Lesson 6: Analyze findings & Ideate
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 4 hours 25 mins.
Lesson 7: Prototyping
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 4 hours 19 mins.
Lesson 8: Course Certificate and Final Networking
To be scheduled.
How It Works
Take lessons by industry experts
Lessons are self-paced so you’ll never be late for class or miss a deadline.
Get a Course Certificate
Your answers are graded by experts, not machines. Get an industry-recognized Course Certificate to prove your skills.
Advance your career
Use your new skills in your existing job or to get a new job in UX design. Tap into our community to help you.
Start Advancing Your Career Now
Join us to take “Design Thinking: The Beginner's Guide”. Take other courses at no additional cost. Make a concrete step forward in your career path today.Advance my career now