How To Successfully Change Your Career To UX Design
If you’re considering becoming a UX designer, congratulations! You’ve stumbled upon a career path that will fulfill and reward you. Not only can you make a positive impact on the world through great user experience, you can also set your career on a trajectory to new heights.
However, it can be challenging and confusing to figure out how to start changing your career to UX design. A simple web search to this effect will return hundreds of millions of results, including countless articles and resources, each one claiming to have the best advice for budding UX designers. As the saying goes, well begun is half done. So if you’re changing your career to UX, it’s important to choose the most appropriate strategies for your goals.
To help you start strong, we’ve partnered with Cory Lebson, author of The UX Careers Handbook and experienced UX consultant. In this Master Class webinar, you’ll learn:
- Frameworks for understanding UX skills and jobs
- How to choose what kind of UX professional to be—a consultant or in-house designer, generalist or specialist, freelancer or full-time employee
- Which fields or job roles do people commonly move to UX from
- What kind of jobs to target while making a move
- Whether a specific academic field of study or specific UX degree matters
- Whether you can reframe what you do now as UX
- How to build your knowledge resume, portfolio and experience before you have a UX job
- The critical value of storytelling as a UX professional and as a job search framework
- How to reframe your online brand and online presence as a UX professional
- Where to meet and network with UX professionals
- The value of volunteering your time for UX causes
Cory has—literally—written the handbook on switching your career to UX. Besides his own extensive experience in the field, Cory has helped aspiring UX designers to begin their dream careers for years. With his advice, no matter where you are on your journey in UX design, you can improve your prospects and set yourself up for success.
Even if you cannot attend the webinar live, register to get access to a recording that you can watch at your convenience!
Cory Lebson is a user experience consultant with over 20 years of experience. He is the Principal and Owner of Lebsontech LLC, an organization that is focused on user research and evaluation, user experience strategy and UX training.
Cory is the author of The UX Careers Handbook and is a LinkedIn Learning instructor. Cory also speaks frequently, has been featured on the radio and has also published a number of articles in a variety of professional publications.
Cory has an MBA in marketing and technology management, as well as an MA in sociology and a BS in psychology. Cory is a past president of the User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA) International and is also a past president of the DC Chapter of the UXPA.
Don’t miss another UX Master Classes
Discover upcoming UX Master Classes and get design tips when you sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Organized by the Interaction Design Foundation
Get advice and insights from design masters through our webinar series. Learn more about how we are revolutionizing design education worldwide
Frequently Asked Questions
Why aren’t the Master Class webinars free of cost for members?
- The cost of using Zoom as our webinar partner. Zoom is one of the most reliable webinar hosting platforms, but it’s also one of the most expensive. We chose quality over affordability to bring you a better viewing experience, and the nominal fee we charge helps us cover these costs, without making the webinars expensive.
- Along with the cost of Zoom, we also cover webinar costs associated with servers, payment gateways and code maintenance. In fact, 40 cents off every dollar in a transaction goes towards just the payment gateway alone!
Will the Master Class webinar be recorded?
What happens if I can't attend a Master Class webinar live?
I’m a member, but when I try to register for the Master Class webinar, I’m being charged the non-member price. How can I get the discounted price for members?
If you use another email address, our system will not recognize you as a member. As long as you’re using the correct email address as a member, you will receive the special member price.
I just signed up for a Master Class webinar—what's next?
This email is sent from firstname.lastname@example.org so if you can’t locate it in your inbox, please check your Spam folder. If you still cannot locate this email, please reach out to email@example.com and we'll help you out!
I signed up for a Master Class webinar which aired recently, but I cannot find the recording in my email inbox. What can I do?
In case you have not received it, please search your Spam for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org received on the date of the webinar in question. If you still cannot locate it, please send an email to this very same email address and we will help you!
I missed registering for some of the Master Class webinars hosted in previous months. How can I get access to them now?
I’m a member, but I cannot see all the Master Classes I purchased on my profile. How can I find the ones that are missing?
After each Master Class broadcast, our video editors painstakingly edit, improve and enhance the quality of these recordings to give you a better experience—but this process takes time, and that’s why there’s sometimes a delay in making them available within your profile.
Until recent Master Class recordings appear in your profile, you can always playback any of the Master Classes you’ve purchased using the Zoom recording links you received after the broadcast. Can’t find these recording links? Then please email email@example.com for assistance.