IDF Design League: Personal UX coaching for supercharged career development
Get a personal UX coach
Personal coaches are at the core of the IDF Design League program. Choose your own personal coach from one of our handpicked selection of coaches, all of whom are experts in design with many years of experience.
Your personal coach:
Guides you to set your career goals and learning objectives
Plans together with you activities that bring you towards your goals
Supercharges your learning from courses with guidance and insightful tips
Shares with you about industry standard best practices and deliverables
Helps you with any questions, through frequent private chat and video sessions
Example Design League Coaches
Coaching tailored to your level of expertise
An IDF Design League membership will help you advance your UX career in the best way possible, tailored to your level of expertise.
Are you just starting your career or switching from another field? Or, perhaps, your work requires solid understanding of UX matters?
Do you already have essential knowledge and considerable hands-on experience with UX design and research?
Do you have many years of experience in a variety of UX design endeavors? Are you ready to take full responsibility for yourself and others in any project? Can you contribute to the community?
Advance your UX career with IDF Design League now
Here's how your journey of development will be like:
Join IDF Design League
Start your personal UX coaching experience by joining the IDF Design League today.Join IDF Design League now
Choose a personal coach
Your IDF Design League coach will help guide and provide useful insights
Set career goals
With the help of your coach, draw a path to your UX career goals by planning relevant activities to participate and courses to take.
Reach your goals
Take courses, participate in Local Group meetups, and chat with your coach. Move your career forward with your coach and the entire IDF community
Have questions about the IDF Design League?
IDF Design League
- How is the Design League different from Student or Professional membership?
Like the Student and Professional memberships, a membership of the IDF Design League gives you unlimited access to IDF training courses and textbooks. The major difference is that the Design League puts your study on steroids with a personal coach.
- Your coach will help you set your learning objectives so that you would get more value in a shorter time. Meanwhile, the value that you can get as a member of the Design League goes far beyond acquiring a new knowledge.
- With assistance of a coach, you can boost your career by building a solid professional portfolio and reaching out to the right audience.
- Why would I want to work with a coach?
An individual or team might choose to work with a coach for many reasons, including but not limited to the following:
- Something urgent, compelling or exciting is at stake (a challenge, stretch goal or opportunity)
- A gap exists in knowledge, skills, confidence or resources
- A desire to accelerate results
- A lack of clarity with choices to be made
- Success has started to become problematic
- Work is out of balance, creating unwanted consequences
- Core strengths need to be identified, along with how best to leverage them
- What can a coach do for me?
Coaching is a thought-provoking and creative collaboration that inspires you to maximize your professional potential. This is particularly important in today’s uncertain, complex, and highly competitive environment. The coach's responsibility is to:
- Discover, clarify, and align with what you want to achieve
- Encourage your self-discovery
- Elicit generation of solutions and strategies by yourself
- Hold you responsible and accountable
This process will help you dramatically improve your outlook on work and life, while improving your leadership skills and unlocking your potential.
- Shouldn't I be able to reach my goals on my own?
Of course, you should. No one but yourself can reach your goals. However, consider the following. While it is the athlete, not the coach, who wins the Olympics, no athlete would ever think of going to the Olympics without the support of a coach. Note that the coach does not necessarily has to be a world champion himself. He or she must be the one who can provide a clear and unbiased view on your potential and the opportunities to deploy it. This is a special skillset.
- Who are the IDF Design League coaches and how do I choose one?
All of the IDF Design League Coaches are selected experts with over 10 years of experience in the field of UX. Their job is to assist you in achieving your professional goals. You will be able to choose your coach immediately after signing up for membership in the IDF Design League.
Overall, be prepared to establish a partnership with the coach. For example, think of a strong partnership that you currently have in your work or life. Look at how you built that relationship and what is important to you about that partnership. You will want to build those same things into a coaching relationship. Here are a few other tips:
- Study professional profiles of available IDF Design League Coaches. Check their areas of specialization, native language, time band, and availability. Choose those who seem to fit well to your preferences and life settings.
- Quickly interview the coaches to determine what feels right in terms of the “chemistry”. Coaches are accustomed to being interviewed, and a short introductory conversation of this type is free of charge.
- Look for stylistic similarities and differences between the coach and you and how these might support your growth as an individual or the growth of your team.
- Discuss your goals for coaching within the context of the coach's specialty or the coach's preferred way of working with an individual or team.
Do not get stuck in attempting to choose the best coach. We have thoroughly screened and tested all of them, and they all know their job very well. Moreover, if you are not satisfied with your coach’s performance – or if you want to change your coach for any other reason – you can do so without any problems or bad feelings.
- What is the IDF Certification of UX Proficiency?
IDF Certification of UX Proficiency is a global recognition that is granted to UX practitioners upon a thorough assessment of their level of expertise by the IDF Certification Board. The IDF certification ascertains what you actually know and can do, rather than how well you can answer an automated multiple-choice quiz. When reviewing your application, members of the IDF Certification Board apply a balanced mix of subjective and objective criteria. Based on the assessment result, they may reward you with one of five levels of recognition: Foundation, Practitioner, Specialist, Master, or Expert.
- How can I pay for my Design League membership?
The method for paying for the IDF Design League membership is not different from paying for Professional membership, except for that it is paid monthly rather than yearly.
- How should I choose my activities in the Design League?
The IDF Design League suggests a number of typical activities that help you organize achieving your professional goals and make best use of your Design League membership. These include taking training courses, participating in activities and discussions of the professional community, authoring professional articles or books, speaking at conferences, or playing a local leadership role. In addition, you can create your own custom activities according to your personal needs. Your coach will be here to help you decide on which activities you are optimal for you. To choose your activities within the IDF Design League
- Open your profile by clicking the “Profile” link on the IDF navigation bar.
- Click the “IDF Design League Control Panel” link on the top of your profile page.
- On the IDF Design League Control Panel, scroll down to the “Choose Your Activities" section.
- Explore available activities and courses to get an idea of what you could do. Take a note of those that might be of interest for you.
- Talk to your coach to discuss your goals and the nearest actions that you are going to undertake for achieving them.
- Open each activity that you have decided to perform, and then click “Save to my activities” button.
- How coaching will occur?
Coaching at IDF occurs online via Skype or another teleconferencing tool that allows transferring voice and video. A typical session is 30-60 minutes long and is focused on a specific topic or set of topics. The coaching sessions are usually appointed in advance – at least 24 hours before – to give both you and your coach enough time to prepare. The preparation is essential to ensure effective and efficient use of time. It may include defining the questions to be answered, identifying viable alternatives, and assembling supporting materials.
During each session, you and your coach will discuss the topics according to the predefined agenda, and make a plan for the next session(s).
- How much of coaching will I have within my Design League membership?
Your membership in the IDF Design League. Gives you 120 minutes of coaching per month. This makes a decent amount of time if used wisely. We recommend breaking it down into four 30-minutes sessions, one per a week. We also encourage our coaches to be well prepared and super-focused during each session.
- Can I get additional coaching time?
If you need it, you can request additional coaching time besides what you have within your IDF Design League membership. However, this shall be discussed individually. Please write us an e-mail explaining your personal needs, and we will get back to you with viable options.
- What should I talk about with my coach?
During first discussions with your coach, you would briefly outline your experience and current situation, and explain your career goals and life goals. Then your subsequent coaching sessions will focus on defining a path to achieving them. Subsequent meetings should be dedicated to reviewing your progress and making corrections as necessary. Specific topics may include
- Training courses and self-study materials that you might benefit from
- Certification targets and requirements
- Preparation of articles and conference talks
- Project and professional activities recommended to you
- Targeting specific job positions or employers and meeting corresponding requirements
- Positioning and pitching you as a professional on the market
- What should I do if I have any concerns with the quality of coaching?
If you are not satisfied with your coach partnership, you can easily switch to another coach. For doing so, simply navigate to your IDF Design League Control panel, scroll down to available coaches and choose the one you like as your new coach.
You do not have to explain the rationale for your decision. However, we are continuously working on improving our service, and we would greatly appreciate your feedback. In addition, if you have already spent some hours with your previous coach, we may get back to you for understanding whether the previous coach shall bill that time.
- How many times can I change my coach during a single month?
Technically, we do not limit the number of times you can change your coach. However, if you want to change a second coach during a single month, we highly recommend contacting us before doing so. This, very likely, means that you have difficulties with selecting a coach that meets your specific needs. In this case, you might benefit from our advice.
- How can I cancel my Design League membership?
At any given time, you can downgrade your IDF Design League membership to a professional membership, or simply cancel your account altogether.
- Can I cancel my Design League membership while my certification is in progress?
Cancelling your Design League membership will not cause loss of any information. However, Design League membership is a mandatory requirement for completing IDF Certification of UX Proficiency. Therefore, if you have an application for certification in progress, it will be put in a “suspended” state upon cancellation of your membership. Once you renew your membership, your application for certification will automatically return to the state where it was just before suspension.
- Can I join the IDF Design League to get assistance with a short-term, special project?
Of course, you can. You should not expect that the Design League would magically do the project for you. You still will be fully accountable and responsible for it. What you can expect, however, is that your coach will help you streamline completion of the project by shifting or expanding your perspective, boosting your creativity, getting you unstuck with decision making, or suggesting alternative approaches. You can also initiate discussion of your project in the IDF forums and get the advice of other members of the IDF Design League.
If you have more questions, feel free to contact us!