Design League: Personal UX coaching for supercharged career development
Get a Personal UX Coach
Personal coaches are at the core of the Design League program. They make finding the path to what you want to achieve easier while helping you stay on track every step of the way. Choose your own personal coach from our handpicked selection of them, all of whom are experts in design and have many years of experience and skillsets that make them ideal guides on the road to success.
Your personal coach:
Guides you on setting your career goals and learning objectives
Plans together with you so you can start doing what you need to take you closer to your goals
Supercharges your learning from courses with guidance and insightful tips
Shares information about industry-standard best practices and deliverables with you
Helps you with any questions, through frequent private chat and video sessions
Example Design League Coaches
Coaching tailored to your level of expertise
A Design League membership will help you advance your UX career in the best way possible, tailored to your level of expertise.
Are you just starting your career or switching from another field? Or does your work require a solid understanding of UX matters?
- Learn essential knowledge by taking instructor-led courses.
- Learn professional tools and techniques by executing design tasks in your projects and challenges.
Do you already have essential knowledge and considerable hands-on experience with UX design and research?
- Study standard design practices and deliverables under the guidance of your coach.
- Complete and describe UX design projects.
Do you have many years of experience in a variety of UX design endeavors? Are you ready to take full responsibility for yourself and others in any project? Can you contribute to the community?
- Author professional articles and speak at conferences.
- Assist in guiding junior members of the Design League.
- Apply your expertise in our design projects.
Advance your UX career with the Design League now
Here’s what your journey of development will be like:
Join the Design League
Choose a personal coach
Your Design League coach will guide you, help you keep on track, and give useful insights.
Set career goals
With the help of your coach, draw a path to your UX career goals by planning relevant activities to engage in and courses to take.
Reach your goals
Take courses, participate in Local Group meet-ups, and chat with your coach. Move your career forward with your coach and the entire community.
Have questions about the Design League?
What’s the difference between the Design League Membership and doing a Bootcamp?
The Design League membership is a monthly membership that gives you 2 hours of non-structured discussion time with a mentor each month. However, the Design League does not include mentor participation outside of the 2 hours of calls.
If you’d like more hands-on guidance than what the Design League offers, the bootcamp could be right for you. In contrast to a Design League membership type, the bootcamp is a full-fledged program packed with guidance from a mentor and instructor.
As you learn fundamental theory and concepts, you'll be guided by experienced instructors.
When you work on practical projects, your mentor will help you every step of the way.
Moreover, if you enjoy learning with your peers, the bootcamp also includes peer reviews and discussion forums.
In short, as compared to the Design League, the bootcamp offers a more structured approach to learning, and more opportunities to interact with mentors, instructors and fellow students.
How is the Design League different from the Student or Professional membership?
The major difference is that with the Design League you will have a personal coach. Your coach will help you:
Set your learning objectives so that you would gain more value over a shorter period of time.
Boost your career by building a solid professional portfolio and reaching out to the right audience.
Like the Student and Professional memberships, the Design League also gives you unlimited access to all our courses and textbooks.
Why would I want to work with a coach?
Some of the reasons to work with a coach are:
- Something urgent, compelling or exciting is at stake (a challenge, stretch goal or opportunity)
- A gap exists in current knowledge, skills, confidence or resources
- A desire to accelerate results
- A lack of clarity with the choices that need to be made
- Success has started to become problematic
- Work is out of balance, creating unwanted consequences
- Core strengths need to be identified, along with how best to leverage them
What can a coach do for me?
The coach's responsibility is to:
- Discover, clarify, and align with what you want to achieve
- Encourage your self-discovery
- Elicit your own generation of solutions and strategies
- Hold you responsible and accountable, for both your achievements and areas requiring improvement
Shouldn't I be able to reach my goals on my own?
Who are the IxDF Design League coaches and how do I choose one?
You will be able to choose your coach immediately after signing up and their job is to assist you in achieving your professional goals.
For example, think of a strong partnership that you currently have in your work or life. Look at how you built that relationship and what is important to you about that partnership. You will want to create the same things through this coaching relationship.
Here are a few other tips for choosing your coach:
- Study their profiles. Check their areas of specialization, native language, time zone, and availability. Choose those who seem to fit well with your preferences and life schedule.
- Look for stylistic similarities and differences between yourself and the coach, and how these might support your growth as an individual or the growth of your team, for example.
- Discuss your goals for coaching within the context of the coach's specialism or the coach's preferred way of working with an individual or team.
How can I pay for my Design League membership?
How should I choose my activities in the Design League?
These include taking training courses, participating in activities and discussions of the professional community, authoring professional articles or books, speaking at conferences, or playing a local leadership role. In addition to this, you can create your own custom activities according to your personal needs.
- Open your profile by clicking the “Profile” link on the Interaction Design Foundation navigation bar.
- Click the “Interaction Design Foundation Design League Control Panel” link at the top of your profile page.
- On the Interaction Design Foundation Design League Control Panel, scroll down to the “Choose Your Activities" section.
- Explore available activities and courses to get an idea of what you could do. Take note of those that might be of interest to you.
- Talk to your coach to discuss your goals and the upcoming actions that you are plan to take in order to achieve them.
- Open each activity that you have decided to perform, and then click “Save to my activities” button.
How will coaching occur? How can I contact my coach?
The coaching sessions are usually organized in advance – at least 24 hours before – to give both you and your coach enough time to prepare. It may include defining the questions to be answered, identifying viable alternatives, and assembling supporting materials.
How much coaching time will I have within my Design League membership?
Can I get additional coaching time?
What should I talk about with my coach?
- Training courses and self-study materials that you might benefit from
- Certification targets and requirements
- Preparation of articles and conference talks
- Project and professional activities personally recommended for you
- Targeting specific job positions or employers and meeting corresponding requirements
- Positioning and pitching yourself as a professional within the industry
What should I do if I have any concerns with the quality of coaching?
You do not have to explain the rationale for your decision.
How many times can I change my coach during a single month?
Technically, we do not limit the number of times you can change your coach. However, if you want to change to a second coach within a single month, we highly recommend contacting us before doing so. This may mean that you are having difficulty selecting a coach that meets your specific needs. In this case, you might benefit from our advice.
How can I cancel my Design League membership?
Can I join the Interaction Design Foundation Design League to get assistance with a short-term, special project?
If you have more questions, feel free to contact us!