User Research — Methods and Best Practices
How This Course Will Help Your Career
User experience design requires you to understand your users. If you don't know what your users want, you can only deliver what they want by accident. User research is how we come to understand what our users want—it's the largest part of user experience design. This course will give you insights into all the major UX research techniques and how to put them into practice on your projects.
User research is often the first step of a UX design process, because you cannot begin designing a product or service without first understanding what the users want. By gaining skills, and learning about the best practices in user research, you will be able to get first-hand knowledge of your users in order to design the optimal product—one that sells better than your competitors’.
Through this course, you will be introduced to the various aspects of user research, getting exposed to qualitative and quantitative user research methods. On top of that, you will also learn how to analyze the results of your research and confidently present your findings to your clients and stakeholders. User researchers play an instrumental and valuable role in any organization and, as such, receive a healthy remuneration, from an average of $81,000 to as high as more than $120,0001.
What you will learn
- A high-level overview of what user research is all about
- How to conduct user research without involving your users
- What usability tests are, and how to conduct them as a (major) part of your UX research
- How to reach out to your users and conduct surveys, interviews, and focus groups
- How to conduct user research across borders effectively—by using global and cross-cultural research techniques
- How to deal with unmeasurable results of your research and apply qualitative analysis
- How to put user research into action and apply the insights you have gained
- How to report and present on user research effectively—to clients, bosses, and other stakeholders
Who should take this course
This is an intermediate-level course suitable for newcomers and experienced practitioners alike:
- UX designers looking to broaden their UX careers with additional research techniques
- Project managers who are interested in techniques that enable design teams to develop a greater understanding of users
- Entrepreneurs interested in building a user-centered product that users will want and purchase
- Marketers looking to gain a holistic view of customers’ needs and motivations
- Newcomers to design who are considering making a switch to UX design
Courses in the Interaction Design Foundation are designed to contain comprehensive, evidence-based content, while ensuring that the learning curve is never too steep. All participants will have the opportunity to share ideas, seek help with tests, and enjoy the social aspects afforded by our open and friendly forum.
Learn and work with a global team of designers
When you take part in this course, you will join a global multidisciplinary team working on the course and the exercises at the same time as you. You will work together to improve your skills and understanding. Your course group will be made up of an incredibly diverse group of professionals, all of whom have the same objective—to become successful designers. It’s your chance to learn, grow, and network with your peers across the planet.
1 User Experience Researcher Salary (United States), PayScale
Gain an Industry-Recognized UX Course Certificate
Use your industry-recognized Course Certificate on your resume, CV, LinkedIn profile or your website.
Our courses and Course Certificates are trusted by these industry leaders:
Lessons in This Course
- Each week, one lesson becomes available.
- There’s no time limit to finish a course. Lessons have no deadlines.
- Estimated learning time: 17 hours 13 mins spread over 9 weeks.
Lesson 0: Welcome and Introduction- User Research - Methods and Best Practices
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 1 hour 38 mins.
Lesson 1: An Introduction to User Research for UX
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 1 hour 2 mins.
Lesson 2: User Research - Without Users
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 5 hours 12 mins.
Lesson 3: User Research - Usability Testing
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 3 hours 11 mins.
Lesson 4: User Research - Surveys, Interviews and Focus Groups
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 1 hour 44 mins.
Lesson 5: User Research - Object Based Research Techniques
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 35 mins.
Lesson 6: User Research - Global and Cross-Cultural Research Techniques
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 49 mins.
Lesson 7: User Research - Qualitative Analysis
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 36 mins.
Lesson 8: Putting User Research into Action
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 1 hour 31 mins.
Lesson 9: Reporting on User Research
To be scheduled. Estimated time to complete: 55 mins.
Lesson 10: Course Certificate, Final Networking, and Course Wrap-up
To be scheduled.
How Others Have Benefited
Angela, United Kingdom
“I'm definitely enjoying this course so far, and looking forward to learning about the other course topics on offer. The website is an incredible resource - big thanks for making such a treasure trove of information available.”
Natalie Verdon, Australia
“How wonderful.......I am looking forward to all I can learn and share with the community. You have a brilliant site and wonderful offerings.”
Fernando Martinez Carreon, Mexico
“Well, I've started with one of the courses and felt it was fair to write once again just to say you that you are a great team of human, cognitive and pedagogy centered professionals. I'm really glad that I've become a member and have all of these tons of information for self-paced learning, the content I read it's great so far!”
How It Works
Take lessons by industry experts
Lessons are self-paced so you’ll never be late for class or miss a deadline.
Get a Course Certificate
Your answers are graded by experts, not machines. Get an industry-recognized Course Certificate to prove your skills.
Advance your career
Use your new skills in your existing job or to get a new job in UX design. Tap into our community to help you.