Human-Computer Interaction - HCI
How This Course Will Help Your Career
What You’ll Learn
- An introduction to all aspects of Human-Computer Interaction
- How to carry out the design process involved in interaction design, navigation design, and screen design
- How cognition and perception, which encompass attention, memory, thought, the “senses” play a role in affecting the experience of interactive design
- How emotion affects user experience
- How to implement windowing systems, applications, architectures, and frameworks
- How to evaluate user experience using numbers and statistics
Interactions between computers and humans should be as intuitive as conversations between two humans—and yet many products and services fail to achieve this. So, what do you need to know so as to create an intuitive user experience? Human psychology? Emotional design? Specialized design processes? The answer is, of course, all of the above, and this course will cover them all.
Human-computer interaction (HCI) is about understanding what it means to be a user of a computer (which is more complicated than it sounds), and therefore how to create related products and services that work seamlessly. It’s an important skill to master, because it gives any company the perspective and knowledge needed to build products that work more efficiently and therefore sell better. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts the Computer and IT occupation to grow by 12% from 2014–2024, faster than the average for all occupations. This goes to show the immense demand in the market for professionals equipped with the right computer and IT skills.
This course provides a comprehensive introduction and deep dive into HCI, so you can create designs that provide outstanding user experiences. Whether you are a newcomer to the subject of HCI or a professional, by the end of the course you will have a deep understanding of what it means to be a user and how to implement user-centered design for the best possible results.
This course is based on in-depth videos created by the amazing Alan Dix. You'll be in great company with this renowned professor and Director of the Computational Foundry at Swansea University, a specialist in HCI and co-author of the classic textbook, Human-Computer Interaction.
Gain an Industry-Recognized UX Course Certificate
Use your industry-recognized Course Certificate on your resume, CV, LinkedIn profile or your website.
Our courses and Course Certificates are trusted by these industry leaders:
Is This Course Right for You?
This is a beginner-level course suitable for newcomers and experienced practitioners alike:
- UX designers who want to gain in-depth theoretical knowledge to augment their experience
- Project managers looking to understand how to build products that work intuitively
- Software engineers who want a solid understanding of human-computer interaction and UX design
- Entrepreneurs looking to create well-designed products that stand out from the competition
- Marketers who want to gain a deep understanding of customers
- Newcomers to design who are considering making a switch to HCI or UX design
Courses in the Interaction Design Foundation are designed to contain comprehensive, evidence-based content, while ensuring that the learning curve is never too steep. All participants will have the opportunity to share ideas, seek help with tests, and enjoy the social aspects afforded by our open and friendly forum.
Learn and Work with a Global Team of Designers
You’ll join a global community and work together to improve your skills and career opportunities. Connect with helpful peers and make friends with like-minded individuals as you push deeper into the exciting and booming industry of design.
Lessons in This Course
- Each week, one lesson becomes available.
- There’s no time limit to finish a course. Lessons have no deadlines.
- Estimated learning time: 37 hours 0 mins spread over 9 weeks.
Lesson 0: Introduction and welcome
Lesson 1: Introducing Human-computer Interaction
Lesson 2: Interaction Design
Lesson 3: Cognition and Perception
Lesson 4: Memory
Lesson 5: Thinking and Action
Lesson 6: Emotion and Experience
Lesson 7: Implementation
Lesson 8: Evaluation
Lesson 9: Course Certificate, Final Networking, and Course Wrap-up
This course is part of 3 learning paths:
How Others Have Benefited
Briane Paul Samson, Japan
“The course covered a large breadth of essential knowledge in order to start a research or practice in HCI. I liked how he used the same example or cases for some of the exercises to ensure coherence between the chapters.”
Walter Darcie Neto, Brazil
“I believe the content of the course its an must have knowledge for every person who works with technology, either if working with design or coding.”
Francesco Manciocchi, Italy
“One of the most comprehensive online lessons about designing a product for the user, thanks!”
How It Works
Take lessons by industry experts
Lessons are self-paced so you’ll never be late for class or miss a deadline.
Get a Course Certificate
Your answers are graded by experts, not machines. Get an industry-recognized Course Certificate to prove your skills.
Advance your career
Use your new skills in your existing job or to get a new job in UX design. Tap into our community to help you.
Start Advancing Your Career Now
Join us to take “Human-Computer Interaction - HCI”. Take other courses at no additional cost. Make a concrete step forward in your career path today.Advance my career now