Data-Driven Design: Quantitative Research for UX
How This Course Will Help Your Career
What You Will Learn
- What quantitative research is and how it differs from qualitative
- Why quantitative research is important
- Alternatives to quantitative methods
- Simple statistical analysis
- Quantitative methods in detail: surveys, early-design testing, web/app analytics and A/B testing
- Participant recruitment and screening
Quantitative research is about understanding user behavior at scale. In most cases the methods we’ll discuss are complementary to the qualitative approaches more commonly employed in user experience. In this course you’ll learn what quantitative methods have to offer and how they can help paint a broader picture of your users’ experience of the solutions you provide—typically websites and apps.
Since quantitative methods are focused on numerical results, we’ll also be covering statistical analysis at a basic level. You don’t need any prior knowledge or experience of statistics, and we won’t be threatening you with mathematical formulas. The approach here is very practical, and we’ll be relying instead on the numerous free tools available for analysis using some of the most common statistical methods.
In the “Build Your Portfolio: Research Data Project”, you’ll find a series of practical exercises that will give you first-hand experience of the methods we’ll cover. If you want to complete these optional exercises, you’ll create a series of case studies for your portfolio which you can show your future employer or freelance customers.
Your instructor is William Hudson. He’s been active in interactive software development for around 50 years and HCI/User Experience for 30. He has been primarily a freelance consultant but also an author, reviewer and instructor in software development and user-centered design.You earn a verifiable and industry-trusted Course Certificate once you’ve completed the course. You can highlight it on your resume, your LinkedIn profile or your website.
Gain an Industry-Recognized UX Course Certificate
Use your industry-recognized Course Certificate on your resume, CV, LinkedIn profile or your website.
Our courses and Course Certificates are trusted by these industry leaders:
Is this course right for you?
This is a beginner-level course for anyone who wants to understand and apply quantitative research in user experience settings. This course is particularly valuable for:
- User researchers and UX practitioners interested in gaining insight into user behavior at scale.
- Project managers and stakeholders who want to help their team to understand the full range of research tools available to them.
- Stakeholders who are keen to get involved in and manage the creative process of developing a new product or service.
- Entrepreneurs looking to use quantitative insights to develop products that fit the market and users’ lives.
- Anyone who is interested finding out more about how users and interactive systems behave in actual use.
Learn and work with a global community of designers
When you take part in this course, you’ll join a global community and work together to improve your skills and career opportunities. Connect with helpful peers and make friends with like-minded individuals as you push deeper into the exciting and booming industry of creativity and design. You will have the opportunity to share ideas, learn from your fellow course participants and enjoy the social aspects afforded by our open and friendly forum.
Lessons in This Course
- Each week, one lesson becomes available.
- There’s no time limit to finish a course. Lessons have no deadlines.
- Estimated learning time: 18 hours 12 mins spread over 7 weeks.
Lesson 0: Welcome and Introduction
Lesson 1: Why Design with Data?
Lesson 2: Statistics
Lesson 3: Surveys
Lesson 4: Early-Design Testing
Lesson 5: Web and App Analytics
Lesson 6: A/B and Multivariate Testing
Lesson 7: Course Certificate, Final Networking, and Course Wrap-up
This course is part of 3 learning paths:
How It Works
Take lessons by industry experts
Lessons are self-paced so you’ll never be late for class or miss a deadline.
Get a Course Certificate
Your answers are graded by experts, not machines. Get an industry-recognized Course Certificate to prove your skills.
Advance your career
Use your new skills in your existing job or to get a new job in UX design. Tap into our community to help you.
Start Advancing Your Career Now
Join us to take “Data-Driven Design: Quantitative Research for UX”. Take other courses at no additional cost. Make a concrete step forward in your career path today.Advance my career now