Interaction Design for Usability
How This Course Will Help Your Career
What You’ll Learn
- An understanding of the basics of usability, including visual design, navigation and menu design, search engine optimization, and accessibility
- How to design for efficiency and persuasion
- What lean and agile processes are
- How to integrate user-centered design into lean and agile development
- How to make a case for user-centered design
- How to engage the whole team in user-centered design
This course will teach you fundamental usability concepts and methods and will tie them together with interaction and visual design. By completing the course, you will become equipped with the tools required to create products with outstanding user experience and usability. Your newly acquired knowledge will also enable you to reduce the costs, risk, and time required to design and implement such products.
You’ll learn to adopt a user-centered approach to UX design and usability so you can create user-friendly products that people love to use—for example, by allowing for user errors and providing timely feedback messages. More importantly, it is crucial that your entire team—developers, project managers, and product owners alike—adopt this holistic, user-centered mindset. This course therefore aims to provide any team member with just that: it will not only equip you with fundamental usability and design concepts, but also introduce you to lean and agile processes that will allow your whole team to become design-centric.
You should take this course if you belong to a team whose goal is to create a great product—whatever role you play in that. The fact of the matter is that usability experts and UX designers are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the people who influence the design of a product. A sound understanding of user-centered design processes is thus greatly beneficial whether you’re a UX designer, developer, or a newcomer to design who wants to be part of a product team one day.
Gain an Industry-Recognized UX Course Certificate
Use your industry-recognized Course Certificate on your resume, CV, LinkedIn profile or your website.
Our courses and Course Certificates are trusted by these industry leaders:
Is This Course Right for You?
This is a beginner-level course recommended for anyone involved in building interactive systems:
- UX, UI, and web designers keen on building interactive systems with users in mind
- Project managers interested in keeping their products focused on the user
- Software engineers looking to build upon their understanding of how apps, systems and websites can be built with the user in mind
- Entrepreneurs who want to ensure their entire outlook and team remain focused on user-centered design
- Marketers interested in incorporating a user-centered perspective across all touch-points
- Newcomers to design who are considering making a switch to UX, UI, or web design
Courses in the Interaction Design Foundation are designed to contain comprehensive, evidence-based content, while ensuring that the learning curve is never too steep. All participants will have the opportunity to share ideas, seek help with tests, and enjoy the social aspects afforded by our open and friendly forum.
Learn and Work with a Global Team of Designers
You’ll join a global community and work together to improve your skills and career opportunities. Connect with helpful peers and make friends with like-minded individuals as you push deeper into the exciting and booming industry of design.
This course is taught by William Hudson, a leading expert in user-centered design who consults and teaches internationally. The lessons have a practical focus but also incorporate background and theory to help you understand the more complex issues involved. On top of this, you will be able to enhance your learning through the (optional) related reading—this consisting of over 40 titles across a broad array of subjects.
Lessons in This Course
- Each week, one lesson becomes available.
- There’s no time limit to finish a course. Lessons have no deadlines.
- Estimated learning time: 18 hours 12 mins spread over 16 weeks.
Lesson 0: Welcome and Introduction
Lesson 1: User-Centered Design Boot Camp
Lesson 2: Visual Design for Usability
Lesson 3: Navigation & Menu Design
Lesson 4: Designing for SEO & Accessibility
Lesson 5: Human Error, Messages & Feedback
Lesson 6: Usability Evaluation
Lesson 7: User-Centred IA With Card Sorting
Lesson 8: Dynamic Web Pages: Effective Use of Ajax
Lesson 9: Writing Effective Web & Intranet Content
Lesson 10: Designing for Efficiency
Lesson 11: Persuasion, Trust and Seduction
Lesson 12: Making the Case for UCD in Agile
Lesson 13: Integrating UX/UCD & Agile
Lesson 14: Agile UX: Users, Personas & Design Maps
Lesson 15: Agile UX: Use Cases, Stories & Scenarios
Lesson 16: Agile UX: Conceptual Models
Lesson 17: Course Certificate, Final Networking, and Course Wrap-up
This course is part of 4 learning paths:
How It Works
Take lessons by industry experts
Lessons are self-paced so you’ll never be late for class or miss a deadline.
Get a Course Certificate
Your answers are graded by experts, not machines. Get an industry-recognized Course Certificate to prove your skills.
Advance your career
Use your new skills in your existing job or to get a new job in UX design. Tap into our community to help you.
Start Advancing Your Career Now
Join us to take “Interaction Design for Usability”. Take other courses at no additional cost. Make a concrete step forward in your career path today.Advance my career now