How This Course Will Help Your Career
What You’ll Learn
- An introduction to how to design basic information visualizations
- What makes a good information visualization
- How to apply a range of basic and complex information visualization techniques
- How the eye and the brain function together to deliver imagery, and how it affects information visualization design
- The history of the information visualization discipline
- How to avoid the common problems of visual perception in your designs
- How to evaluate the effectiveness of an information visualization
Information visualization skills are in high demand, partly thanks to the rise in big data. Tech research giant Gartner Inc. observed that digital transformation has put data at the center of every organization. With the ever-increasing amount of information being gathered and analyzed, there’s an increasing need to present data in meaningful and understandable ways.
In fact, even if you are not involved in big data, information visualization will be able to help in your work processes as a designer. This is because many design processes—including conducting user interviews and analyzing user flows and sales funnels—involve the collation and presentation of information. Information visualization turns raw data into meaningful patterns, which will help you find actionable insights. From designing meaningful interfaces, to processing your own UX research, information visualization is an indispensable tool in your UX design kit.
This course is presented by Alan Dix, a former professor at Lancaster University in the UK. A world-renowned authority in the field of human-computer interaction, Alan is the author of the university-level textbook Human-Computer Interaction. “Information Visualization” is full of simple but practical lessons to guide your development in information visualization. We start with the basics of what information visualization is, including its history and necessity, and then walk you through the initial steps in creating your own information visualizations. While there’s plenty of theory here, we’ve got plenty of practice for you, too.
Gain an Industry-Recognized UX Course Certificate
Use your industry-recognized Course Certificate on your resume, CV, LinkedIn profile or your website.
Our courses and Course Certificates are trusted by these industry leaders:
Is This Course Right for You?
This is a beginner-level course suitable for newcomers and experienced practitioners alike:
- UX and UI designers interested in creating effective designs that help users understand large amounts of data
- Information visualization designers who want to have a solid theoretical foundation
- Project managers working on projects that require elegant representations or visualizations of data
- Software engineers looking to learn how to transform raw information into meaningful graphics
- Entrepreneurs who wish to use information visualization to make their products more engaging and intuitive
- Anyone who needs to present information in a manner that an audience can easily digest
Courses in the Interaction Design Foundation are designed to contain comprehensive, evidence-based content, while ensuring that the learning curve is never too steep. All participants will have the opportunity to share ideas, seek help with tests, and enjoy the social aspects afforded by our open and friendly forum.
Learn and Work with a Global Team of Designers
You’ll join a global community and work together to improve your skills and career opportunities. Connect with helpful peers and make friends with like-minded individuals as you push deeper into the exciting and booming industry of design.
Lessons in This Course
- Each week, one lesson becomes available.
- There’s no time limit to finish a course. Lessons have no deadlines.
- Estimated learning time: 18 hours 36 mins spread over 6 weeks.
Lesson 0: Welcome and Introduction
Lesson 1: Introduction to Information Visualization
Lesson 2: Vision and Memory
Lesson 3: Basic Information Visualization
Lesson 4: Advanced Information Visualization
Lesson 5: Evaluation
Lesson 6: Course Certificate, Final Networking, and Course Wrap-up
This course is part of 1 learning path:
How Others Have Benefited
Phillip Dodson, United States
“I wanted to thank you! IDF is just the best thing ever. Just ever! Making this information accessible and available at the high level of quality. Just awesome!”
Reid Dickson, United States
“The course covers a lot of the fundamentals, particularly the history of data visualization and how people actually comprehend data.”
Julia Maroto Romero De Ávila, Spain
“I am happy with the content of this course and other contents in IDF's site. This is helping me to reinforce my knowledge and define the concepts, discovering I knew more things about UX that I expected!”
How It Works
Control your learning.
Lessons are self-paced so you’ll never be late for class or miss a deadline. Learning and life, hand in hand.
Earn Course Certificates.
Your answers are graded by experts, not machines. Get an industry-recognized Course Certificate to show you’ve put in the work.
Advance your career.
Grow your professional knowledge by watching Master Classes, networking within our UX community, and more.
Start Advancing Your Career Now
Join us to take “Information Visualization”. Take other courses at no additional cost. Make a concrete step forward in your career path today.Advance my career now