Senior Full-Stack Developer (PHP+JS)
Are you truly passionate about web development? Do you hate to compromise on code quality because of clients and deadlines? Then read on!
We're a product-focused organization, which means our codebase is our baby; it can never become too perfect and we continually push our ambitions upwards.
We're also the world's leading User Experience (UX) community—with over 1,5 million monthly visitors—and the biggest course platform for designers on the planet. Forbes Magazine has written about us and, what's more, we teach UX and Design to organizations like IBM and the British Parliament. We can offer you the freedom to shape your work schedule, as well as a priceless opportunity to make an impact on the world—you'll improve hundreds of thousands of lives each year.
With that in mind, we'd love if you could help us take our codebase to the next level.
You will join our team as a Senior Full-Stack Developer and your main responsibilities will be as follows:
- Make principal architectural decisions together with back-end and front-end developers.
- Communicate with our design team, write specifications for the components of the new IDF Design System and implement them.
- Implement new features by writing readable, maintainable and testable code (using Laravel and/or Vanilla JS/Vue.js).
- Reuse and improve existing solutions and components.
- Write automated tests for critical parts of your code. What's more: We are TDD friendly!
- Adopt the codebase as your baby and constantly refactor it towards perfection.
A future-proof tech stack
- We use the latest stable version of PHP7 because it increasingly offers features like strict type declarations.
- We leverage the elegance, simplicity and readability of the latest Laravel* version and features.
- We want to spend our precious time on things that matter the most; that's why we perfect our easy to run development environment with Docker, VM and custom scripts.
- We empower our automated tests with PHPUnit and Laravel Dusk.
- We support evergreen browsers only 🌲 (ES2015+, grid layout, CSS custom variables, etc).
- We constantly refactor our front-end code with the goal to reach front-end heaven:
- VanillaJS and Vue.js for its simplicity and flexibility that comes with a very small size and great performance.
- PostCSS to maximize the power of modern CSS.
- Webpack for perfect control over front-end assets.
- Cypress.io and Jest for automated tests.
- PWA with offline experience.
- Mixed multi-page application and single-page (for the most interactive parts).
- We️ ❤️ CI (Continuous Integration) and CD (Continuous Delivery) so we usually deploy a few releases per day: Zero downtime. Just a few buttons to push. No sweaty palms.
- We care about Developer Experience (DX) of our codebase and tools. DX and DevOps is our middle name: git, GitHub, Docker, HTTP2, CDN, AWS and much more.
- 100% remote full-time work with team trips 1-2 times a year in different places on the planet.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Team of true professionals and smooth onboarding process with a personal mentor.
- A culture of learning and excellence:
- In our code reviews, we constructively reference specific evergreen principles of programming to supercharge our learning.
- We actively use a library of evergreen literature on front-end and back-end development-related subjects.
- We believe that building timeless knowledge enables us to see through the hype and focus on what really matters.
- You have expert knowledge of PHP.
- You have 6+ years of experience working professionally with OOP + MVC (preferably web technologies).
- Your work is based on a solid foundation in computer science fundamentals from data structures and algorithms to design patterns.
- You have substantial experience working with RESTful web services and ORM concepts.
- You love to learn through doing. You’re ready to put in some hard work to expand your skills.
- You speak and write to an acceptable level of English.
- You are a team player and you don't bring your ego to work.
- You are self-motivated and self-disciplined and thus work well in a flat hierarchy with lots of freedom.
- You love to have creative freedom, make independent judgments and live up to the responsibility that comes with that freedom.
- You love to make a positive impact on the world and the lives of others.